Miata Club of Hawaii Forum

Go Back   Miata Club of Hawaii Forum > Miata Talk > General Discussion

Unread 10-24-2008
Noob

Scottermiata is on a distinguished road
Default Water In Passenger Side leg area

I keep getting water in the passenger side leg area. I donít no why but it seems to be coming from under the dash. Now I know the big thing that most would say is that I donít have a window seal on that side but it even gets wet when Its sunny out. So some is from the seal but I need to find the other place. I know with my other car a Heat Exchanger was right as the front of your feet up there. But I found instead just 2 little control box's which I do not think should be wet So i need to ask. Also Would be it wise to drip a drain hole right there in the floor? Please Help my cars new carpet is becoming Nasty.
Unread 10-24-2008
1337 Post Whore Member

EvoRoadster is on a distinguished road

leaking heater core. Located up under dash.
E/MOD #56
Team Girlie Car Racing

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Mario Andretti
Unread 10-24-2008
163 lbs of OLD MAN!

avery is on a distinguished road

If the car has air conditioning, it could be a clogged condensate drain. I know other Miatas where this was the problem.

Is the dripping water hot, cold or ambient temp? Knowing that will go a long way to solving the mystery.

'91 Miata (Junior) - Crystal White w/ ROLL BAR, VLSD, SCCA Legal STS
'91 Miata (Rocky)- Silverstone Silver w/ HT, ROLL BAR, SCCA RallyCross - SOLD to Kainoa V.
'92 Miata (Sunshine)- Sunburst Yellow w/ HT, ROLL BAR, VLSD, Restoration Project, SCCA RallyCross
'92 Miata (Big Red)- Classic Red, w/ HT, ROLL BAR, SCCA Big Island STS - SOLD to Dylan N.
'94 Miata (Torry)- Chaste White w/ HT, ROLL BAR, LSD, Drift Project, SCCA STS, SCCA RallyCross
'97 Miata (Crash)- Classic Red, donated and parted out, gone to Miata Heaven
'98/02 WRX swapped GC (Colin) - Winter Camo, COBB, Kart Boy, STi, SCCA RallyCross
'99 Miata (Rocky, Jr aka Rocky 2 the sequel)- Brilliant Black, w/ HT, ROLL BAR, LSD, LSX conversion candidate
'99 Miata (Twisted Sister's Evil Twin)-Brillant Black, w/ HT ROLL BAR, donated for SCCA RallyCross Loaner
'96 4Runner 4x4 (Max)- Work Truck, Miata Tow Vehicle
'00 Impreza 2.5RS (Belle)- Blue Ridge Pearl, AVO Turbo, SCCA RallyCross
'03 GX470 (Lexi)- Gold, Back Up Miata Tow Vehicle
'05 STI (Sue)- World Rally Blue, SCCA STU, SCCA RallyCross - SOLD to Gabe H.
Unread 10-24-2008
Noob

Default Sorry to ask

Wondering How and where do you unclog it. I see the little white cylinder/box thing under there. Is there a drain velve in there?
Unread 10-24-2008
Noob

The other problem is it does not seem to drip while driving it only drips after I leave the car and When i come back theres water and a wet carpet.
Unread 10-24-2008
1337 Post Whore Member

gtxhawaii is on a distinguished road

Try driving and NOT using the AC. If the water is still just as much, it isn't a blocked AC condensating drain. (A plastic tube)
If it is Not raining and you haven't used the windshield washers, that eliminates a leak from the cowl air intake area or a soft top seal failure on the passenger side or door weather seal.
Check the water drains in the body seam under the front and rear of the passenger door. If you get a Load, it was backing up and over the interior ledge of that compartment half way up the A pillar just in front of the door hinges. Mine did that, but during a tropical downpour.

Otherwise it may be a leaking heater core or heater hose. Put clean dry paper all over the carpet on that side and watch for an actual drip. Most heater core leaks do this from the heater box. Hoses can leak anywhere, but usually at the ends. If it's coming down the side of something, seeping under the carpet, harder to find. Miata engines may not leak during warmup or running, but 'boil' internally sometimes after shutdown, (the poor cooling for #4 cylinder) and could build more than usual pressure to make a heater core or hose leak that doesn't at normal temps.
If you still are mystified, the carpet is easy to pull out of the foot well. Removing the seat helps. It is a bitch to get out from under the center console, so I wouldn't try.

Last edited by gtxhawaii; 10-24-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Unread 10-24-2008
1337 Post Whore Member

driver is on a distinguished road

Try checking out the Air Conditioner drain...

I found this on a Miata AC installation procedure
Quote:
Cooling Unit / Evaporator 2

Before installing the cooler unit, there are three grommets you will need to remove. One is for the cooler unit drain (for draining condensation) See Image 5. Replace it with the new grommet - it has a hole for the drain tube. You will also need to install the drain tube to the cooling unit unless you want your passenger to have wet feet. The other two grommets are in the firewall where the high and low pressure connections to the cooling unit enter the engine compartment (See Image 6). Don't install them until after you have the cooling unit installed. Then, lightly spray with silicon lube (rubber friendly) and the grommets will slip on very easily (just put them on before you attach the lines (duh!).
source http://www.miata.net/garage/AirInstall/index.html

It's in the passenger side above the transmission
#33ES, 1991 NA 1.6L, B-package, w/hardtop.
Mods: Koni shocks and alignment.